Beaufort County's Andy Patrick eyeing 1st District run | News
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) - A Beaufort County state representative is moving toward making a run for South Carolina's vacant 1st District congressional seat.
State Rep. Andy Patrick of Hilton Head Island has hired the national consulting firm RightOn Strategies as he considers the race.
The seat was left vacant when Congressman Tim Scott was selected earlier this month to fill the vacancy left in the U.S. Senate when Jim DeMint resigned. Filing for the seat opens a week from Friday.
Patrick is a former state trooper and Secret Service special agent. He was first elected to the state House in 2010 and re-elected in November.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- Charleston man remembered after losing battle with Cystic Fibrosis
- Suspect sought for breaking into car, using victim's credit cards
- Deputy, woman released from hospital after W. Ashley wreck
- Local commuters participate in National Bike to Work Day
- Woman killed after crashing into parked car in West Ashley