Beaufort a finalist for aging battleship | News
BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) - A South Carolina group is one of the finalists to bring a 19th Century battleship to the state as an historic attraction.
A group from Beaufort and one from Mare Island, Calif., are finalists to get the ship.
The USS Olympia is currently moored at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia and is considered the oldest steel warship still afloat. But it has not been in dry dock for 65 years and is in danger of sinking unless it is repaired.
The South Carolina Olympia Committee wants to bring the vessel to Port Royal and make it a tourist attraction. The 344-foot ship would first need about $10 million in repairs.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- Report: Motorcyclist tips bike over to get rid of drunk woman
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight