Beaufort man charged with felony DUI after teen's death | News
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, SC (WIS)- A Lowcountry man has been charged with felony DUI after troopers say he caused a collision that killed a teenager on his way to Florida for a holiday cruise Sunday evening on Interstate 77.
According to the Highway Patrol, Ricky Lance Deel, 34, of Beaufort was driving a 2000 Saturn southbound on I-77 near mile marker 41 around 6:50 p.m. when he made contact with a Dodge Durango carrying seven people.
A teenager was ejected from the vehicle and died as a result of the crash. Fairfield County Coroner Barkley Ramsey identified the victim as 16-year-old James Franklin Williams of New Boston, Michigan.
The other six people in the Durango were transported to Palmetto Health Richland Hospital with unknown injuries.
A family member says all seven were traveling from Michigan to Florida to embark on a cruise to the Bahamas.
Deel was arrested and transported to the Fairfield County Detention Center where he remained in custody Monday morning.
The accident is under investigation by the Highway Patrol's MAIT team.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby