90-year-old man charged with murdering wife of 62 years | News
BEAUFORT, SC (WCSC)- A 90-year-old man has been charged with murdering his wife of 62 years in their retirement community home before attempting to kill himself.
John Haw Cross, Sr. was served with two arrest warrants Thursday morning and charged with murder and possession of a weapon during commission of a violent crime.
Officials say Cross fatally stabbed his 84-year-old wife Page Arrington Cross on June 24 at their Seabrooke retirement community home.
According to reports, Mr. Cross stabbed himself and shot himself in the head after murdering his wife, but did not die. He has remained in a hospital since the incident.
Officials say Mr. Cross has been ordered to stay at Savannah Cottage of Chatham, where he will continue to receive psychiatric and medical treatment.
Judge Carmen Mullen has ordered that Mr. Cross undergo a psychological evaluation to determine whether he is competent to stand trial.
The report states that the next step would be to have his case presented to the Beaufort County Grand Jury for an indictment.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- Report: Motorcyclist tips bike over to get rid of drunk woman
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight