Beaufort Co. teen dies while swimming | News
BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a St. Helena Island teen apparently drowned while swimming in a pond near Beaufort.
17-year-old Semaj Johnson and three friends were swimming in a pond Wednesday afternoon when he went under the water.
Divers searched the pond for more than two hours before Johnson's body was found.
Beaufort County Coroner David Ott says Johnson was pronounced dead about 6 p.m. He says the cause of death appears to be drowning.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby
- Authorities release video of crash involving deputy, motorist
- Charleston man remembered after losing battle with Cystic Fibrosis