Naked driver of stolen fire truck out of hospital | News
PORT ROYAL, SC (WCSC) - The man accused of stealing a Port Royal fire truck and killing a pedestrian is out of MUSC and is now behind bars at the Beaufort County Detention Center.
According to South Carolina Highway Patrol, 26-year-old U.S. Marine Kalvin Hunt was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon.
Beaufort police say Hunt got away from the Beaufort Naval Hospital and stole a fire truck from a nearby apartment complex where firefighters were responding to a medical emergency.
They say Hunt was naked when he hit six cars with the fire truck before hitting and killing 28-year-old Justin Miller.
Hunt was pinned against the trees inside the truck before getting free and assaulting two Beaufort police officers, according to police. He is at MUSC in Charleston. He was served Tuesday morning with the charges.
Three officers and an EMT were injured. All four were treated and released.
Miller's funeral is set for 4 p.m. Saturday at the Church of Latter Day Saints.
Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.
Top Beaufort Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Head to Charleston Tea Plantation for the First Flush FesTEAval
- $75K bond set for man accused of fondling girls while watching horror movies
- Suspect charged in Johns Island convenience store armed robbery
- Authorities arrest Johns Island man accused of trailer thefts
- Superstreet could be solution for troubled intersection
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby